Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Laughter

When I was in 7th grade one of my friend's mothers told us "Be sure to marry someone who makes you laugh". I never forgot that advice and have to agree with it. Laughter is medicine. It can rejuvenate a tired body, ease the pain of hard times, and even smooth over frustrations. Just the other night while laying in bed I kept interrupting Dan while he was reading to relax, trying to enjoy those precious moments of quite. Somewhat frustrated he said "I'm trying to read", then with a slight smile said "shut your mouth". When you're tired you can find things funnier than they are so I replied in the most serious voice I could muster while trying to contain a laugh, "Shut your face". From there it was all over and we went to bed giggling like little kids. I can't imagine life without my wonderful husband who ensures I'll have laugh lines all over my face when I'm older! Even in the hospital hours after Hudsy was born, Dan and my brother Daniel had me laughing so hard our poor newborn was bouncing in my arms as I shook trying to keep the laugher in so as not to wake him. Who knew recaps of your labor could be so hilarious!
Given such, I should have known our little boy would be jolly. My favorite time of day, or night, is when Hudson gets giddy. You never know what will tickle his funny bone either. Every day it is something different, so each day is a game to see who can make the baby giggle. Last week I had a little bit of a cough and each time I would cough or clear my throat Hudson just lost it. This week it seems that spitting causes him to double over in laughter.

The video is from last month, when he heard a dog bark and decided it was just about the funniest thing he'd ever heard. Of course we had to join in the fun... It's amazing what grownups will do to make a baby laugh!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

this video made me laugh until i had tears in my eyes....he has been so smiley from the very beginning! i love it, jen

GRANDPA & GRANDMA B said...

Laughter is what got us through parenting such as when Dan said as a preschooler, "I talked so much my mouth got weared out." Now we laugh at Hudson such as when (at the dinner table) he would clench his fists and make his body shiver and kept repeating the action upon our repeated peals of laughter. The house is dreadfully quiet and we hear phantom Hudson cries and Dan's quick steps bounding up the stairway. The Bittle play train plays a lonesome song and wonders where its buddy went.

the bakks said...

Kristi, that video was so much fun to watch! What a cute baby boy - what a great personality! Are you guys back in the heat? We want to get together soon! I'll give you a call later this week or next... - ellie

Mark said...

That is a classic!! Love it...Maya rolls when I sneeze...I have yet to catch it on video. She goes deadpan whenever I turn it on ;) Can't wait to see the little man in a few weeks! Cori

Anonymous said...

what a great video...it's so nice to have the simple things in life be of such ammusement. who would of thought a dog barking could bring so much joy into our day! Thanks to Hudson...I had a great laugh...oh yes, one of those when you're all by yourself but you can't help but laugh out loud! It felt great!
Love you guys, Amaanda