Monday, October 8, 2007

Boys




Today was one of those days. It wasn't a bad day, just one of those days. As I sit here writing I stop periodically to massage my hurting left hand. It hurts because I gave it to Hudson to use as a chew toy while I tried to complete a task with my right hand. This is now a dangerous, and much to painful way to occupy him temporarily. I should have known better. I have already received three hickys from him - one of which was on my chin (very embarrassing), yelped during my Father-in-law's prayer when he chomped down on my finger, and gave him a very stern "no no" just today when he bit my shoulder. I never knew how hard it would be to keep a straight face while simultaneously having my heart break. I am amazed that someone who has never been in trouble before can know the second when they are. I gave him a slow, stern "no no" then tried my hardest to stand strong as he first laughed, seeing if I was serious, then stuck his bottom lip out and cried the most pitiful cry I've ever heard. I came to the horrible realization that I'd hurt his feelings, and went through the "new parent" emotions of wondering if he'd ever come to me for comfort again or laugh for me again. Thankfully my fears were eased when moments later he was happy again - phew! Boy, this disciplining thing is going to be harder than I expected. I've always prided myself as being a good disciplinarian and "redirector", but it's a killer to look into your own child's eyes and see they've had their feelings hurt by you, their protector and playmate! Oh boy, here comes the roller coaster ride of loving while disciplining.

On a lighter note, the other reason today was one of those days was that I took Hudson out for a little lunch date to Panera Bread. Most everyone there was on their lunch break and the room was filled with serious faced men and women. I thought it my duty to bring a little happiness and joy into their lives, if only briefly, and show them how much fun it was to have a kiddo. Unfortunately I failed in making them smile, but I sure laughed out loud, a lot. You see, while I sat there eating my sandwich, I also tried to feed Hudson. Things went great at first and I was quite proud of myself and my little happy fella. That is, until I felt something wet and warm running down my skirt. Comedy of errors, begin. What are the odds of having a diaper leak on you in public? I'd say fairly good when you are trying to look your best. Not to be dismayed, I laughed it off, acting like he spilled water on me. So we kept on, trying to convince the working world to be happy that I was now mismatched, Hudson thought he would do me a favor by knocking the sweet potato filled spoon out of my hand, all over both of us. He must not have wanted me to have something on my skirt without something on my nice white shirt also. At that point I gave up on the whole "look like you have it together" bit, and had a nice big, audible laugh. I couldn't help myself, we looked pretty ridiculous together all wet and covered in sweet potato. But we were happy, happier than anyone else in the room by all appearances.

I'm being rushed out the door by Daniel so I'll have to finish by saying children are a great way to keep you humble and keep you laughing!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

hey, call me. i need your new phone number. loved hearing your mom's voice in the video....i can't believe we are the mamas now-ahhh! love you, jen

Mark said...

Ha! I just bought Maya the ring stacker a few weeks ago! I also picked up those hollow plastic beads that snap together into a chain. Remember those? Both toys I enjoyed as a kid. Email me your phone number so we can talk about next weekend!! Woo Hoo! I can't wait to see you guys. :)