Before I conclude I thought I'd share a few of my favorite passages with you from the book.
On Being A Servant Mother:
"I have to choose to serve Christ by giving my time and energy to my children-not just when I feel like it but when they need me...Choosing to be a servant-mother means willingly giving up myself, my expectations, and my time to the task of mothering - and choosing to believe that doing so is the best use of my time for that moment. That means that, by faith, I have already made a decision to make myself available in the routine tasks and myriad interruptions of daily life because I believe it is God's will for me to serve my family through them. Making this choose ahead of time means I will expect problems and need to arise and be ready to deal with them in peace instead of impatience and resentment...Jesus was able to choose sacrifice and servanthood because of his deep love-and because he was looking to eternity! When we choose to sacrifice our own goals and desires to serve our children, we too are furthering his eternal work."
On Being A Discipling Mother:
"I don't just want my kids to be moral. I don't just want them to know all the biblical rules for behavior. I don't just want them to make it through my home with good grades, no drug addiction and no promiscuity. I want them to leave my home with a hunger and passion to know God personally and to be used by him to accomplish great things for his kingdom. I want them to personally hear God's voice and have his gentle touch and impression on their hearts as they read the Scriptures and struggle with the issues of their lives. Whatever else we give our children as they grow, God wants us to pass along an eternal vision and purpose as well as a passion for Christ. If we are wise we will keep this goal ever before us-to keep focused on what really matters, on the ultimate purpose of our activity as parents."
Phew.
For those of you still reading, I hope you are encouraged. God has been doing great things in my heart and life as a result of this woman's words. I couldn't help but share it with you. And for those of you who have already read this book, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it or what you've learned!
Here's to Mothers
And Grandmothers
Happy Parenting Ladies!
4 comments:
Awesome. I feel like that speaks to some question marks that have been in my heart lately. Such purpose! Thanks, Kristi.
Oh I love those pictures. She is beautiful and you look like the happiest mommy ever. I'm so thrilled for you guys Kristi! God has truly blessed your precious family.
I could say so much about this book and things I have learned from it, but I'm really sleepy and so I'll just say a hearty "AMEN!" to all that you wrote:) I agree with Becca, you do look so very happy. Love to you friend, Jenny
I'll forward you the emails some of who were reading the book togther wrote... we were supposed to be writing about a chapter a week, but I think we've all fallen a bit behind the last couple of weeks... anyhow, so awesome that you'll be in our discussion group!
Jen
Post a Comment